This section will contain information about land leasing practices associated with Marcellus development. It will include these topics, plus many more.
- Why do gas companies need to lease?
- What is meant by surface and subsurface rights?
- How is gas a "mineral?"
- What are the rights and responsibilities of company landmen?
- What are the financial considerations of leases?
- How long are leases good for?
- What happens if a well produces no gas?
- When can either party terminate the lease agreement?
- What is forced pooling?
Bureau of Land Management, United States Department of the Interior
Citizens Voice, Wilkes-Barre, PA:
- "PA State Sen. Blake Bill Addresses Gas Mortgage Issue" (August 16, 2011)
- "Chesapeake Energy Sues Wyoming County Over Lease Records" (July 30, 2011)
Link to Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection: Answers to questions frequently asked by landowners about oil and gas leases and drilling
Pennsylvania State University, College of Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Research and Cooperative Extension:
- Natural Gas Exploration: A Landowner's Guide to Financial Management
- link to "Considerations for Surface Use Agreements"
Widener University School of Law, Environmental and Natural Resources Law Clinic A Citizens Guide to Legal Issues of Marcellus Shale Gas Drilling [information on leasing begins on page 16]