In this section, we discuss the use of water in the gas extraction process. Questions that we address include:
- Why is water needed for gas extraction?
- Can alternatives to water be used?
- How much water is needed?
- Where does the water come from?
- What else is added to the water when it is pumped into the well?
- What happens to the water when it reaches depth?
- What is flowback, and how does it differ from produced water?
- What is the ratio of produced water to that used in gas production?
- What do the gas companies do with produced water?